Throughout time art has been an integral part of a child’s development and exploration, but today art has become secondary in education throughout schools across the United States. Many studies show that doing art helps develop important skills as children learn and grow. Some of these skills include:
- Fine motor skills and hand eye coordination from using tools
- Cognitive development and critical thinking skills from visualizing their creations
- Math skills for things such as spatial relationships and geometry
- Language skills by learning to articulate their process and intentions
- Creativity by being allowed to explore and experimentation
The Art Cart’s purpose is to help support the development of these skills by providing mobile Art programs that can be taught anywhere.
See “The art of creating: Why art is important for early childhood development” from Michigan State University Extension.